Appearance of the Dancer
The song starts with a grown-up celebrity. She's wearing an aqua and purple dress. Her hair and sunglasses are dark teal. She is also wearing a purple sun hat, one purple glove (the other is hot pink), and light blue high-heels.
P1 (Alternate color)
Every time "When I Grow Up" is sung the lady "turns" into a teenager in her room who wishes to become famous when she grows up. She's in fact wearing the same accessories as her adult-form but instead of a dress and high-heels, she's wearing an orange t-shirt with a purple rainbow and white cloud, orange shorts, and white flats with purple socks. A feather boa has been added, and her hair and glasses are orange like her clothes.
In the remake C1's lipstick is much more visible, and a realistic effect is added on the clothes.
During the adult's scenes, she's standing on a reflective floor in front of The Red Carpet and around her are paparazzis, palm trees, railings, and glowing lights from a city. During the teen's scenes, she is in her orange-colored room, having a window with curtains, a bed, an armchair/sofa with lots of soft toys, a bed with a dolphin on it and a clothes-hanger. Also, a Raving Rabbid appears on the couch as one of the stuffed animals.
In the remake, the flashes from the paparazzis' cameras are dimmer and the red carpet is stretched so that the dancer is standing on it instead of in front of it. The transition between the two backgrounds happens in a different way, and the second one looks lighter.
Alternate Routines/Contest Winners
There was a contest held which let fans choreograph their own dances to "When I Grow Up". Three winners of the contest got their dances recorded (the winners were dancing themselves) and added into the game as Alternate routines.
Contest Winner 1
The first winner was Sam from France. He is wearing a yellow cap, a green hoodie, blue pants, and white and green sneakers.
Contest Winner 2
The second winner was Mandy Davis from the United Kingdom. She is wearing a hot pink dress, a light blue jacket with short sleeves, and very dark purple belt.
Since her hair is blonde, the special effects make her hair white in-game. The same thing happened to her shoes which, apparently, are a very light pink.
Contest Winner 3
The third winner was Liana Veda from the United States. She has purple hair and is wearing a purple hat, a hot pink tank top and warmers, a dark purple short skirt, orange leggings, and dark shoes.
There are 3 Gold Moves in the Classic routine:
Gold Move 1: Put your hands in the air.
Gold Move 2: Do a dramatic fainting position.
Gold Move 3: Pull up your hands a little and rotate the upper part of the body. This comes directly after Gold Move 2.
The routine by Sam has 4 Gold Moves:
All: Open your legs and your arms and raise them up.
The routine by Mandy has 2 Gold Moves:
All: Slide your right arm in a semicircle and slide your left hand on it.
The routine by Liana has 2 Gold Moves:
Gold Move 1: Akin to Sam's Gold Moves, but standing on the left side.
Gold Move 2: Put your right arm up while bending your right leg.
When I Grow Up is featured in the following Mashups:
When I Grow Up appears in Puppet/Party Master Modes. Here are the captions attributed to her dance moves:
- Cutie Pie
- Pick And Choose
- Posh Poses
- This is The Pussycat Dolls' first song on the series; it is followed by Jai Ho! (You Are My Destiny) on the Best Buy Edition of the same game.
- Along with Holiday, S.O.S and Song 2, this is one of the first four songs to feature a transforming dancer. She is also the first dancer to completely transform for a significant amount of time.
- The beta version of the song had a different colour scheme. It can still be seen in the Just Dance 2 menu icon.
- The choreography was different as well.
- You can find information about it here.
- For the contest winners, when they start recording with outfits on, in the real world, it had a different color scheme. This was probably done to make it look more colorful and bolder.
- As of it's release date, this song had the most alternate routines. It was later beaten by Where Have You Been.
- This is the first song to have alternate versions. The second was seen a game later and has become a common feature in every subsequent sequel.
- The silhouette of the chorus dancer appears in the Multiplayer menu of Just Dance Wii, even though the song is not playable in that game.
- The Alternate choreography by the third contest winner uses a move from the alternate mode for Bad Romance. It's very possible Bad Romance did not recycle any moves, but When I Grow Up did so from the music video for Bad Romance.
- During C2's part of the routine, one of the outfits in the background resembles P2's outfit from Bad Romance (when the dancers turn white), but this is most likely a coincidence.
- The alternates are the only routines with a set scoring but no stars in the game; this happens later in Tutorial Mode of Just Dance Wii 2.
- The back of the PAL cover of the game mistakenly says that the song is covered by The Hit Crew.
- The avatar is supposed to be wearing sunglasses like its coach, but is instead wearing regular glasses.
- Although Sam's routine is placed before Mandy's routine in the Contest Winners' menu, the code name for Mandy's version is contest1, while the code name for Sam's version is contest3.
|Read in Other Languages|
|Deutsch • Español • Français • Italiano • Português • Português do Brasil • Polski • Pусский • Română • Tagalog • 中文 • 日本語|